Tentative map

Tentative map
VERY rough sketch of my route

Fun Facts

Fun Facts:
Days on the road: 27.5
Total distance: 10512.5km
Number of states and provinces: 19 + 1
Longest distance in one day: 714km

Tuesday 26 April 2011

At Roads End

From: Needles, CA
To: Venice, CA
Mileage: About 464km

Today, I ran out of road.  I even ran out of land.  Read on.

I packed up camp and made my trip through the Mojave desert.



I kept moving, but started getting drowsy.  I stopped for lunch in Barstow, CA.  I used my Starbucks giftcard, and planned out my route for the rest of the day.  Continuing on, I came upon a mountain range.  Once I reached the top, I was greeted with a great view.  I was in the clouds looking out at scenic mountains and cities below.  Sorry, no photos - there was nowhere safe to pull off.  As I started coming down the other side of the mountains, I started getting nice views of the metro area ahead.  Eventually, I entered Los Angeles county.  Tropical trees everywhere, ultra-modern everything, lots of wealth.  Nice cars and bikes everywhere!

I took an exit for Santa Monica and continued on.  Eventually, the mile markers reached 0 and the road ahead of me vanished.  When I ran out of pavement, I had ended up at



Elated, I parked and walked to the water.






Success.
I stayed on the beach for about 20 mins or so, but then needed to take care of business.  So I bought a hot dog on a stick (the original).  I then went in search of a hotel.  I drove into Venice, CA and visited the beach since it's the namesake of my blog.

Venice Beach (by bike)

The outdoor gym
I looked for a place to stay and didn't see much, so I stayed at the Santa Monica Motel.  It sounds nicer than it is.  Here's a quick shot of the Santa Monica Pier:



By this time it was late and dark, so I went to the Third Street Promenade (a touristy pedestrian street) and ate dinner at a cafe before turning in.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Grant! Enjoy the trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get off muscle beach...leave that place for professionals like myself, or Matt, or Goran...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last photo of the street with the beach in the background looks SO nice! I hope you're enjoying your time there. You should visit LA ink and commemorate your journey with a tattoo!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kass, I was actually thinking about something like that! But I didn't have any ideas worthy of permanence.

    ReplyDelete