Tentative map

Tentative map
VERY rough sketch of my route

Fun Facts

Fun Facts:
Days on the road: 27.5
Total distance: 10512.5km
Number of states and provinces: 19 + 1
Longest distance in one day: 714km

Saturday 30 April 2011

Hypothermia

From: Las Vegas, NV
To: Richfield, UT
Mileage: About 486kms

After leaving Las Vegas, I crossed into Utah


I said this when I was in Arizona and Utah: "These people really know how to make a state!"  It's a really scenic drive and I enjoyed riding through the mountains.  It was nice to have some turns!  I took a few quick pictures, but I couldn't stop during the middle of a turn in the mountains, there was nowhere to pull off.


Damn interstate... ruining my picture.
I pushed on, but as the night got later, I got colder.  I stopped at a welcome center to pick up a map of Utah and to add layers (I was in hot weather gear coming out of Vegas).  I added layers and set off.  Again, it got colder and I think it eventually got down to about freezing.  Factor in the bike's wind-chill and I started shivering.  Since I was in the middle of nowhere, it was hard to find a place to pull off.  By the time I did, I was starting to show signs of hypothermia - uncontrollable shivering/shaking, fatigue, slow movements, etc.  I went into the rest stop and drank two cups of hot coffee.  I also had a toasted sub and stayed inside until I was thoroughly warmed.  I then checked the weather and decided not to camp.  I set off for Richfield, UT where I got a room for the night.  By the time I checked in it was late and dark.  I did a load of laundry and worked on posting before falling asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice post - we enjoyed reading it and the photos were great.

    ReplyDelete