Tentative map

Tentative map
VERY rough sketch of my route

Fun Facts

Fun Facts:
Days on the road: 27.5
Total distance: 10512.5km
Number of states and provinces: 19 + 1
Longest distance in one day: 714km

Sunday 1 May 2011

Snow

From: Big Bend Campground (near Moab), UT
To: Denver, CO
Mileage: About 561kms

I woke up feeling really sick and had to pack camp.  Bill came over to tell me they'd moved to another site, and to offer up some breakfast.  I wasn't feeling up to eating, and I'd woken up somewhat late, so I said no thanks and hit the road.  The rest of the ride through scenic route 128 was amazing!  I wish I wasn't feeling so sick - I could have enjoyed it more.  Eventually the gallon of water I drank started to sink in and I started feeling better.  By the time I reached the interstate I was feeling pretty good and I ate the sandwich I'd bought for dinner the night before.  I read a few emails after coming back into cell reception territory, then hit the road.  Here are the pictures from the rest of the scenic ride.


The Colorado River

Dinner.  The road goes through an open range so there were cows a few feet off the side.

I stayed on the interstate, and eventually I entered Colorado:

A very welcoming sign
I stopped at the welcome center for some route info.  I'd been expecting the mountain passes to be a little dicey, so I figured I'd ask.  There was a war museum nearby, so


The ladies at the information center were telling me not to try the mountain passes since I'd be getting there late at night.  I'd be facing below freezing temperatures, snow, possibly icy roads, and dark.  I decided to head in that direction and get as far as I could, stopping if I felt it was necessary.  As I drove further, I saw more and more of Colorado.  It's a really beautiful state and seems a little expensive.

Notice the houses


I moved closer to the mountains and started riding some really nice, scenic twisties.  But as my altitude started to climb, the temperatures started to drop.  Eventually, I stopped at a town in the mountains to add layers and warm up.  I pushed on and reached a rest stop further up the way.  Check out this depth!



Hooray!  Jazz hands!
The sun set and the roads got slippery, but I found them drivable.  So I pushed on and eventually I found myself in Denver, CO.  I checked into the Howard Johnson after getting them to cut the rate in half.  I'm glad I did because even for the $40 I paid I was still pretty disappointed with the quality.  Had I paid full price I would have made a st\ink and gone somewhere else! Anyway, I was exhausted and fell asleep while trying to write a post.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the picture with the houses and the mountains. very nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rate this your best post of the blog so far... I guess you will have to cruise down 8 mile in Detroit to get something that measures up! Either way, good job on the blog. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to work on the remaining posts tonight/tomorrow, so keep an eye out. Definitely nothing as interesting though. I wanted to head to 8 mile road, even if just to take a photo of a street sign. My stupidity reigned supreme though...

    ReplyDelete