Tentative map

Tentative map
VERY rough sketch of my route

Fun Facts

Fun Facts:
Days on the road: 27.5
Total distance: 10512.5km
Number of states and provinces: 19 + 1
Longest distance in one day: 714km

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Home Sweet Home

From: Portage, IN
To: Waterloo, ON (via Windsor, ON)
Mileage: About 714kms

After checking into the motel, I decided to check the weather for the next day.  I noticed that it was supposed to be rainy all day, all along my planned route.  And it was supposed to remain that way for the next few days.  The only break in the rain was that night.  So it was either I press on, drive through the night, and stay dry, or I get some sleep and hope the rain isn't too bad the next day.

I got a refund (minus $3 for "credit machine charges" *rolls eyes*) and jumped back on the road.  After wasting so much time looking for motels and fighting with managers, it was already late (I think it was 9 or 10 pm). I got onto the 401 and headed East.  I stopped only for gas.  At one point, I saw a deer on the side of the road.  I flashed my lights to warn drivers behind me, and managed to scare him/her off.  I guess I don't have the same bad luck as my friend Ryan and his poor Buell...

As I entered Waterloo region, I started feeling really excited, and proud.  I guess I couldn't really believe I'd done it.  I pulled off on my exit and started realizing that I'd been gone long enough that I wasn't sure how to actually... get home.  I mean I knew a sure fire way, but not the good way.  I figured it out though, and as I pulled up to my street I got pretty damn excited.  My Hindle pipe roared up the street, bothering all my neighbours in the middle of the night, and I pulled into the same driveway I'd left 27 days and 10,512.5 kms earlier.I put the bike in it's spot and paused before turning the key.  I had serious thoughts about turning around and just riding off toward the sunrise.  I really didn't want the trip to end, and I had strong, yet ambivalent feelings.  I was happy to be home, to see Ginny, to have accomplished my goals, but I was sad to be ending the journey and getting back to real life.

I turned the key, put the bike on her stand, and ran inside to see Ginny.  I opened the door to:

The finish line.

Thanks, Ginny!
And with that, I was home.  After being inside for about 20 minutes, I felt completely at home.  Almost as though I'd never left... Seriously.  I saw my bags sitting there and started to think "Did I really just live on a motorcycle for a month? Did I honestly just drive to California?"  Sitting in my PJs in the exact spot I was in before leaving, everything I did this past month seems surreal and it's hard to believe I ever left.

Now that I'm back, I need to pack frantically and move out of this apartment.  But at some point, I'm going to write another post with some overall impressions and memories, but also a bunch of pictures that haven't been posted.  I also shot a few movies while riding, and Ginny might try and work on a video montage, so check back every now and then for some extra goodies.  Also, please post (or email) comments and questions, and I'll reply to them.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys can think of.

Thanks for reading.  I hope you enjoyed following along - I know I enjoyed every minute of it.
-Grant

7 comments:

  1. Welcome home, congrats on an incredible journey and a great blog. We're going to miss the posts. How about a new blog for your Asian adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on one heck of a trip! Loved reading your updates and checking out all the picture updates. You posts and pictures inspired me to make my own trip, as i am now planning a trip from new york to Colorado. Good luck in your future travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet blog Grant... congrats on making it back in one piece! How hard was it to negotiate hotel rates in the USA? Also, how open were random strangers to chatting during your trip... it seems you met some nice people and only one rude person (In Ont)... any other meanies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aabid - pfft... now I go to Asia for 3 months.

    Mom - we were thinking about this, but it might be tough if we're on the move and don't have internet that much. Plus it means we'd probably need to lug around a laptop. We'll see though.

    Andy - Thanks! Awesome news about your trip! Shame you're not going farther, Colorado marks the start of the interesting stuff, I think. But you'll love the mountain roads there... Make sure you keep a blog and send me the link!

    Leanne - yes.

    Brent - Thanks. It wasn't hard to negotiate hotel rates. I usually just walk in seeming very tired and cold, then ask what the CAA/AAA rate is. Then they say it and I act disappointed, and ask "what's the absolute lowest rate you can give me?" They usually have a base rate below which they're not authorized to go, so I usually get that one out of them. If they don't budge, I ask where else I can go for lower rates. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it means I go somewere else. Most of the time, it was the random strangers who were approaching me to chat, so people were very open. The only other mean person was that stupid old lady in Memphis who passed me in my lane. But I didn't have words with her, just menacing stares.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! I really enjoyed following this. Maybe time I bought a bike...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Running a small business is as challenging as trekking to Mt. Everest without having oxygen cylinder, prior practice, and a valid map guide. The challenges are only because there are no authentic rules that can lead a small business towards success while other major obstacles comprise: low budget, limited manpower, and lack of efficient resources. Ballarat Pro Concreters

    ReplyDelete