Tentative map

Tentative map
VERY rough sketch of my route

Fun Facts

Fun Facts:
Days on the road: 27.5
Total distance: 10512.5km
Number of states and provinces: 19 + 1
Longest distance in one day: 714km

Saturday 30 April 2011

Arches

Warning: This post is extremely picture heavy!

From: Richfield, UT
To: Big Bend Campground (near Moab), UT
Mileage: About 384kms

I left the motel and followed I-70 through Utah.  This has got to be one of the most amazing interstates in America, and one of the most scenic roads out there (even though it's an interstate!)  All the way along are scenic lookouts where you can stop and be amazed.  Here are the photos I took along the way:







The road ahead.  The next pictures are zoomed in on the road.

Too fun.

Yeop.
Since I was stopping every 5 minutes to take pictures (several aren't posted) I kept passing the same vehicles when I'd get back on the road.  I passed this one RV going the minimum allowed speed about 6 times.  Finally, when stopped for gas, the same RV pulled in and the guy came over to chat while I was looking at my maps.  Turns out he's an adventure rider who's gone down to Guatemala, up to Alaska, etc.  He told me that Moab and the surrounding area was not to be missed.  He seemed to know what he was talking about, and Moab was in the direction of Arches National Park (something I've always wanted to see).  I hit the road and took the turn off for Moab.  The ride into town was phenomenal with snow-capped mountains off in the distance and amazing canyon walls on the other side.  I got into town and stopped for some information.  From there I went into Arches National Park. 




Courthouse Rock (or something to that effect)

Balancing Rock


For scale


More scale - notice the people climbing

One of the Windows (arches)



For scale





There are more arches in Arches National Park, but I just couldn't get to them in time.  Also, I didn't want to park and hike in all my gear.

After leaving Arches, I drove along highway 128 (a scenic byway).  Beautiful!  The road winds along beside the Colorado river surrounded by cliffs and canyon walls.  I think I have a few pics (which don't do it justice!):

Entering the canyon

Colorado River to the left

The river.
Yeah, I wish I'd taken more pictures.  But the sun was setting and I was looking for a campsite.  There are small government run owned campgrounds all along the river.  I didn't find a site because everything was full.  Then I saw the RV belonging to the guy I'd been chatting with earlier.  He was right where he said he'd be.  So I pulled in to continue the conversation.  Turns out his name is Bill.  We spoke to the campground manager and got him to let me pitch my tent in the overflow area:



The river flows through that clearing between the walls.
Bill helped me set up the tent, then offered up a plate of spaghetti his wife (Linda) had just made.  I happily accepted the offer and ate dinner while Bill and I had a beer.  I gave them the address to this blog, so I guess I'll take the opportunity to say thanks for dinner!  Bill and Linda sell hand-made Christmas ornaments and travel around selling them.  Linda looked over my blog while I ate. Then somehow some scotch made its way out and I was tasting the difference between a 12 and 15 year old.  Linda went to bed while Bill and I stayed up talking.  The problem here is that I was very dehydrated from having very little water throughout the day.  That and the only thing I'd eaten since breakfast was the spaghetti.  So drinking was a bad idea, and I woke up feeling extremely thirsty and sick the next morning.  I had to drink about 3-4L of water in the morning to start to feel better.

3 comments:

  1. OoOoh...so pretty! You should've tried to push one of those balancing rocks over, you probably could've ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I can push them over... Who do you think balanced them up there to begin with?

    ReplyDelete