Tentative map

Tentative map
VERY rough sketch of my route

Fun Facts

Fun Facts:
Days on the road: 27.5
Total distance: 10512.5km
Number of states and provinces: 19 + 1
Longest distance in one day: 714km

Sunday 10 April 2011

Gold Bond...

... I might need to buy some.  See why below!

[NOTE: Added pictures and a little bit of text at the end]


From: Weston WV
To: Bardstown, KY
Mileage: About 570kms

Today was hot (I think it reached somewhere around 30C), and my behind had a rough time with the heat in the seat.  Also, I rode something like... 570kms?  or something?  I'll have to update later.  Right now I'm in the McDonald's in Bardstown KY.  I'm camping at My Old Kentucky Home State Park.  I have the tent pitched, the sleeping stuff unrolled, and some firewood  ready.  I think I'll just post a shorter post now.  I don't like sitting in McDonalds THAT much.  Also, the food here tends to disagree with my stomach, and I'm a sucker for the cheap American prices.  I already had a McChicken and a McDouble, and a coffee... Baaaaad combination.

This morning I checked out of the hotel, wiped off all the condensation and lubricated the chain on my bike.  I kitted up and noticed I was already quite hot and sweaty.  I shed the rain/wind liner from my riding pants.  I then shed the pants I had underneath.  I'm now extremely happy I got these mesh-ish overpants.  I was afraid I'd be cold, but in reality I should have been more concerned with being too hot.

My bags are all stuffed full.  So this morning, when I shed a pair of pants, my pants liner, and my thermal liner, and I traded my thermal bandana and thermal gloves for my hot weather stuff, I very quickly ran out of all my space.  My running shoes and my thermarest were promoted to passenger seat to make some room in the bags.  I think I'll head to walmart and see if I can find some compression sacks.

Anyway, I left the hotel and decided to cover some ground.  I rode from Weston WV straight through Charleston WV on I-79 S.  I stayed on I-64 West through Huntington WV, where I stopped after 250kms to gas up.  I took a short break and had a small sub.  Before you say "Subway again?", remember that I had very few options.  It was either Subway, or a veterinarian's office...  After my break, I jumped back on the interstate, and shortly thereafter I was entering Kentucky.  Sadly, the welcome sign was on a bridge, so I couldn't pull off for a photo.  I stopped at the welcome centre to get a map and a route, so here's the best I could do.


 I took these outside Subway before getting into Kentucky



I decided to take the Bluegrass (Blue Grass?) Parkway, and eventually the Western Kentucky Parkway southwest to Memphis. I stayed on the interstate until I reached Lexington KY, and then I jumped on the Blue Grass Parkway.  Nothing much happened turing that whole time.  I lost the cap from my water bladder tube while riding, and I dropped the tube and poured water on my lap and onto the interstate while riding.  That's about the best part.  The scenery in West Virginia was amazing.  Kentucky was similar on the way in.  Nice easy rolling hills and turns, bright colours (greens [grass/fields], pinks [trees], blues [sky]), etc.  Here's a couple quick shots.  I didn't see anything really worth shooting today except a castle.  But it was closed so I kept driving.






I stopped on the other side of Lexington KY to refuel and take a short rest.  I looked up campgrounds, and jumped back on the bike.  I followed the Blue Grass Parkway out to My Old Kentucky Home State Park.  On the way I started getting nice and sleepy, and caught myself getting drowsy.  I pulled off, rubbed my eyes, took off my helmet, scratched my head, stretched, and then got going again.  Just that little stop did wonders and woke me right up.  I grabbed a site, and set up camp.  I then came here.  I now feel the McDonald's kicking in.  I don't know why but I always tell myself it won't do anything this time, and then it always hurts my stomach.  I should have just cooked the oatmeal I pocketed from the continental breakfast this morning.


Once I got back to my campsite, I started a nice big fire and eventually went to bed.  I took a few night shots, but you can't really see the site in them.  Tomorrow's post will have daytime shots.







Bah fo now!

2 comments:

  1. Gut rot from Mc'Ds = pleasure for aabid cause he knows grant is feeling pain whilst riding.

    And the gold bond won't help your hemroids.

    Glad its going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you eat a McChicken inside a McDouble its called a gang bang. Thought you'd appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete