Tentative map

Tentative map
VERY rough sketch of my route

Fun Facts

Fun Facts:
Days on the road: 27.5
Total distance: 10512.5km
Number of states and provinces: 19 + 1
Longest distance in one day: 714km

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Tennessee

From: Bowling Green, KY
To: Forrest City, AR (via Nashville and Memphis, TN)
Mileage: About 632kms

Okay, time to update for yesterday.

I woke up yesterday morning, got my stuff ready, and then left Bowling Green, Kentucky.  I headed toward Nashville, Tennessee on I-65 South.



Before stopping in Nashville, I took a slight detour and visited the Grand Ole Opry.  Here are some photos:
Guess where I entered...

Guess where I parked...


Epic


The hotel

This just came out kinda neat








I couldn't actually go INTO the Grand Ole Opry, since there was some convention/conference going on, and it was closed to the public.  But I got to be in the area at least.

While at the Opry, I asked the lady at the ticket place if it's worth going downtown Nashville.  She said yes, but everything sounded time consuming.  She said Broadway was the street to see, if I did go.  So while I was back on the Interstate, I decided I'd only go downtown if I saw a sign saying either "Downtown" or "Broadway".  Of course there would be, and there was.  So I took the Broadway exit and went downtown Nashville.  Here are some pictures:








I liked Nashville, Tennessee.  It seemed like a nice, clean, interesting city.  It had some cool, historic looking buildings, but a very clean, modern feeling to it, and some newer buildings to prove it.  Everyone there seemed friendly, too.

I left Nashville, and headed toward Memphis.  on the way, I stopped for gas in Waverly TN.  I decided I was hungry and that I wanted to just find a small place.  So I want across the road to this place:



and had a smoked pulled pork sandwich:



After eating dinner, I jumped back on the Interstate and headed into Memphis.  After entering the city, cars needed to merge into the interstate.  So I moved a lane over, clearly signaling my intentions with my blinkers AND hand signals.  Ten seconds later, the car that was behind me was passing me in my lane.  Of course I freaked out, sped the hell up and followed the car as it exited.  I'd hear there are lots of gangs in Memphis, so I had planned on being cautiously aggressive.  I looked closely and I could tell that it was a slightly older person, so I decided it wasn't a gangster.  I made my way up to the car at a red light and started down the person.  Turned out to be an old(ish) lady who was visibly upset that I was following her with my menacing helmet.  When she looked at me, I made a gesture as if to say "what the hell is wrong with you...?" and she just kind of shrugged.  I didn't like the shrug, so I continued to follow and badger her until I'd made her feel sufficiently uncomfortable.  Eventually, she got her phone out and started dialing, so I decided she'd had enough.  I turned around and got back in the Interstate.  More drivers in Memphis were following too closely, and I just didn't get a good vibe from the place.  So I decided not to stop, and I took these parting photos as I crossed the Mississippi River into Arkansas (if you click them and zoom in, you can read the signs).



I stopped at a truck stop for more gas, and picked a campsite for the night.  I headed for Wynne, Arkansas to camp at Village Creek State Park.  By the time I got to Wynne, it was starting to get dark.  I went to Wal-Mart to get a can of dinner (a.k.a. soup) and some snacks.  By the time I got out, it was dark and I still had to get to the park, find a site, set up camp, make dinner, and sleep.  So instead I checked into a motel and crashed for the night in Forrest City, Arkansas.

By now, I'm pretty sure I've left the Appalachian Mountains:

Flat :(


And I'm pretty sure I'm heading in the right direction:

West


Overall, I liked Tennessee (even though I was there for a quarter of a day).  It seemed clean and friendly.  I did not like Memphis, however.  I also noticed more cops in Tennessee (speed trapping, etc.) than I had noticed over the rest of the trip, combined.

3 comments:

  1. Ride safely, avoid old(ish) ladies who don't know how to drive but don't harrass them please! I can tell you were tired writing this - the proofreader in me can't avoid nitpicking. I'm pretty sure Bowling Green is in Kentucky not Tennessee. Have fun, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahaha, world's best star indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha that story with the old lady made my day, gotta watch out for those gangsta ass women

    ReplyDelete